Ohrid, also known as “The Balkan Jerusalem” is city in the south western part of the Republic of N. Macedonia.
Location of Ohrid
With Skopje, Ohrid is connected via Kicevo, Tetovo and Gostivar trough the highway M-4, and with Veles through Resen, Bitola and Prilep (highway M-5). From the city of Ohrid to the border with Albania link two roads: one through Struga and border crossing Qafa San and the other along the eastern shore of Lake Ohrid and St. Naum border crossing.
Northwest of Ohrid on Struga Plain the international Ohrid Airport – St. Apostole Paul is located, which connects the city of Ohrid with many European cities.
Short history of Ohrid
Ohrid belongs to the group of the oldest cities in Macedonia. Even in ancient times there existed an urban settlement. In the III century BC it is mentioned under the name Lihnida.
In the second half of the IX century as a result of the missionary activities of Clement and Naum of Ohrid, the city grew the most and had developed into cultural, educational and religious center of Macedonia.
In the reign of Tsar Samuil, Ohrid was its capital and seat of the Archbishopric of Ohrid.
In the XI century, the city already had a complex form, and consisted of two territorially connected parts: the fortress, which formed the inner city (acropolis) and suburban external part.
At the beginning of Ottoman rule and around XVI century Ohrid was established as chief religious center. Rapid development was experienced in the middle of the XIX century.
According to Ami Boue (1794-1881) the city had 6,000 residents with 250 stores. There were well developed leather and other crafts as well as fishing. After the Balkan wars with the displacement of the Turks, the population decreased, and the city and functionally weakened.
Significant prosperity Ohrid experienced during the second half of the last century.
Ohrid city is administrative center of Municipality of Ohrid, which covers an area of 38,993 ha, with 29 settlements.
Today Ohrid is the most developed and the most attractive tourist destination in the Republic of N. Macedonia, with many modern hotels, restaurants, camping beds and private households.
The rich natural and cultural heritage enabled Ohrid to be declared a UNESCO City (1980).
Lake Ohrid is considered a museum of living fossils. Cultural stratigraphy of the city is exceptionally rich in archaeological monuments such as: Ohrid Fortress, Antique Theatre, graves, basilicas and baptisteriums filled with luxury and mosaic ensembles and decorative stone sculptures.
In Ohrid are located several important cultural and historical monuments such as: “St. Sofia “cathedral temple of the Archbishopric of Ohrid, built and painted in the first decades of the XI century, then” St. Panteleimon on “Plaosnik with the tomb of St. Clement, monastery “St. Naum” with the tomb of St. Naum on southern shore of Lake Ohrid, the churches: “St. Holy Mother of God Privlepta,” St. John Kaneo “,” Sv. Nicholas Bolnicki”,” St. Mary Bolnicka”,” St. Mary Celnica “,” Sv. Mary Zahumska “, cave churches” St. Erasmus ” and ” St. Stefan” and others.
The city has several developed industries such as: electro, automotive, textile, plastic industry and others.
Ohrid is host of Balkan Folklore Festival and International Festival “Ohrid Summer”.
Ohrid has several institutions like: a National Museum, Museum of Slavic literacy, Icon Museum, House of Culture, Health Centre, High School, Secondary Technical School and the Faculty of Tourism and Hospitality.